Two partners – one joint solution
Synchronizer rings and synchronization systems are some of the essential components in a vehicle transmission. Synchronization systems will also be needed in future applications of hybrid transmissions, some with new functions. Diehl Metall and Schaeffler have combined their expertise and have extended their portfolios by the joint product group of synchronization systems.
In the new joint product group, the two companies are each bringing their expertise to the table – Diehl with its tribological know-how as well as its time-tested materials, ranging from brass alloys to carbon friction layers; Schaeffler with its outstanding expertise in the area of the powertrain.The worldwide manufacturing and development locations of both companies are close together in many regions. So we are now able to manufacture synchronization systems in Germany, Brazil, China, India and Thailand, and customers can be served locally.
Two customized solutions
Diehl Metall and Schaeffler offer two customized solutions in the field of synchronization systems – the Eco and Short System.
- Standardized yet tailor-made solutions The Eco System permits the best possible efficiency and system performance with a standardized yet individually adjusted design. The utilization of existing solutions saves time and costs in the development process of synchronized transmissions. The functional requirements in terms of torque transferability, synchro performance and shifting quality have already been met by appropriate solutions. The integration of functions by means of forming technologies for components such as sliding sleeves and sync keys, as well as the optimization of the system as a whole, provides the basis for cost-efficient solutions with high performance capabilities. In a modular structure, single- and multi-cone synchronizers can be selected as needed. The carbon and brass friction materials that have become established for the wide range of applications enable optimal price-performance designs. Easy adaptability of the contact interface dimensions of the clutch bodies and synchronizer hubs allows their integration into the transmission concept.
- Solutions for mobility for tomorrow Schaeffler Technologies Short Synchro (STSS) allows the axial design space of the transmission to be reduced by up to 25 percent by consistently utilizing the advantages offered by forming technology. Smaller tooth moduli and innovative detail solutions make it possible to maintain the relevant width of the friction cones that is relevant for performance, the gear-tooth load and the clearance that is important for low drag torques. If the overall length reduction is implemented in the transmission structure, this may reduce the weight by up to 3.5 kg and also save costs. The freed-up design space can be used in a number of ways depending on the application, such as for increasing gear teeth performance or for drive train hybridization.
Schaeffler and Diehl Metall – shift to the next level
Mobility for tomorrow
The Schaeffler Group is a leading global integrated automotive and industrial supplier. The company stands for the highest quality, outstanding technology, and strong innovative ability. Its precision components and systems for engines, transmissions, and chassis as well as rolling and plain bearing solutions for numerous industrial applications make the Schaeffler Group a key contributor to “Mobility for tomorrow”. The technology company generated sales of approximately 13.3 billion euros in 2016. With around 85,000 employees, Schaeffler is one of the world’s largest companies in family ownership. It has a worldwide network of manufacturing locations, research and development facilities, and sales companies at approximately 170 locations in over 50 countries.
Always one gear ahead
Diehl Metall – as Corporate Division of the Diehl Group founded in 1902 (Sales: 3,108.5 m. Euro, Employees: 15,889) – strengthened its excellent position on the global markets in the last few decades. The international technology manufacturer is headquartered in Röthenbach a d Pegnitz near Nürnberg. Diehl Metall has 15 locations in Europe, Asia, South America and the USA .Diehl Metall is a international producer of semi-finished parts, forgings, rolled products, high precision stamped parts with surface finishing as well as press-fit zones and metal-plastic compound systems. Every product from Diehl Metall is the result of many years of technological competence in the fields of development and materials. We offer comprehensive know-how and services from a single source for solutions with sustained competitiveness.
- Diehl MetallSchaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KGJörg WalzVice President Communications and Marketing Automotive
Automotive Press SpokespersonPhone +49 9132 82-8282
- Industriestraße 1-3 91074 Herzogenaurauch Germany
- Diehl MetallHead of Marketing & CommunicationDiehl Metall Stiftung & Co. KGMichael Nitz
- Heinrich-Diehl-Str. 9 90552 Röthenbach